Here I am in Japan at the JET Program orientation. For everyone who doesn't know what JET stands for, I'll explain. JET stands for Japan Exchange and Teaching Program. Run by the Japanese government, JETs come from all around the world- not just America. So far I've met Irish, Australian, New Zealand, Jamaican, and South African JETs.
Right now I'm slightly disoriented, even through my orientation. And I don't think that it's hit me that I'm truly and really in Japan. Even after going to the convenience store down the street, talking to Japanese people, eating at restaurants, I can't convince myself that this is my new life. A life in which I am forced to be completely integrated into the fabric of my community - a point that they have been constantly stressing to all the JET's (Japanese English Teachers).
Honestly I believe there is only so much they can keep repeating: don't do drugs in Japan, don't drink and drive in Japan, communicate with your JTE (Japanese Teacher of English) - Hold tight, JET likes lots and lots of abbreviations! -, and do things outside of the classroom, and once again don't do drugs. For the most part I think I will have to experience things for myself and make mistakes, laugh at myself and move on to be successful in Japan. There will be things that I am not prepared for and I know that I'll be constantly surprised.
A recap on where I'm headed. I'm going to Nagasaki prefecture, and within the Nagasaki prefecture I'm headed to the Goto Islands off of the coast, within the Goto Islands I'm headed for Shinkamigoto, and within Shinkamigoto I'm going to be in Arikawa based primarily at a Junior High School. Scary, I know. But fortunately I'm told the Junior High kids are enthusiastic and well behaved - very different from home! Here is a google map location of where I'm going to be: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=107880579523184030168.00046faa306fc5f0bfd79&ll=37.788081,140.361328&spn=30.95754,86.396484&z=4
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Omg!! You're back in Japan?! So lucky! I miss Japan... Good luck with everything and have fun!
-Greta
I forwarded your blog to Grandpa and Grandma, Nayda and Jamie. They are appreciative and look forward to hearing more about your adventures. Love, Mom
Post a Comment